The Importance of Detox for PCP Addiction
It is difficult to overstate the potential for damage that can result from the abuse of PCP, or phencyclidine. This powerful and dangerous drug, which is often referred to by the slang terms wet, angel dust, and rocket fuel, can cause a user to experience hallucinations, delusions, and psychosis. People who have ingested PCP are also at risk for acting in a violent, aggressive, or otherwise dangerous manner, which endangers both themselves and those with whom they come into contact. One-time PCP abuse can have a devastating impact on a person’s wellbeing, and continued abuse will only increase the potential for severe physical and psychological harm.
Among the many risks of ongoing PCP abuse is the increased likelihood that an individual will become addicted to the drug. Becoming dependent upon PCP, which is known clinically as developing phencyclidine use disorder, can be devastating. Characteristics of PCP addiction include losing the ability to control one’s PCP abuse, needing increasingly larger doses of PCP to experience the desired effect, devoting greater amounts of time to acquisition and use of the drug, and experiencing distressing withdrawal symptoms when one does not or cannot ingest PCP.
Withdrawal symptoms pose a significant obstacle to overcoming PCP dependence, but it is essential to rid one’s body of this disruptive substance before a person can fully engage in the treatment that can empower him or her to achieve long-term recovery. Thankfully, this process can occur in a safe and comfortable environment when a person chooses to be treated at a detoxification, or detox, program. Detox can dramatically improve a person’s chances of ending his or her dependence upon PCP and becoming empowered to live a healthier drug-free life.
Benefits of Detox
An effective detoxification program can have a profoundly positive influence on a person’s ability to achieve and maintain abstinence from PCP. The following are among the many beneficial aspects of participating in detox prior to entering treatment for PCP abuse and addiction:
- Safety and security: In a detox program, professional staff members monitor participants, immediately address any health concerns, and ensure that participants do not harm themselves or others. Since detox occurs in a secure environment, individuals are also prevented from relapsing into PCP abuse as a means of alleviating any physical or psychological discomfort.
- Comfort: When an individual participates in an effective detox program, he or she benefits from working with professionals who can help him or her to avoid, alleviate, or manage the physical and psychological pain of withdrawal. Depending upon the policies and practices of the program, pain management services may include medications, therapeutic interventions, or other techniques.
- Progress and continuity: While in detox, individuals may be able to receive certain therapeutic interventions that will support their early steps along the path of recovery. Some programs provide individuals with the opportunity to begin engaging in the therapy and other elements of residential treatment while they are still in detox, which can ensure continuity of care from detox to a residential or inpatient program.
- Support: Participating in a detoxification program eliminates the isolation that can occur when a person attempts to rid his or her body of PCP without professional help. Program staff members can be sources of support, and individuals who are receiving care will also have the opportunity to give and receive support among each other. This exchange can serve as an introduction to the sharing of support that is one of the fundamental elements of the recovery community.
- Efficient and effective transitions: When a person completes his or her time in detox from PCP, he or she can typically transfer directly into residential treatment or whatever other type and level of structured care has been determined to be most beneficial according to his or her specific needs. Making an efficient transition from detoxification into the next phase of care will eliminate the risk of immediate relapse, and will allow the individual to maintain and build upon the progress that began during his or her successful detox experience.
When a person attempts to complete withdrawal from PCP on his or her own, and fails at that attempt, this failure may push him or her deeper into the downward spiral of substance abuse, and may complicate future efforts to finally overcome his or her PCP dependence. When, instead of attempting withdrawal in isolation, the individual instead avails him or herself of the many benefits of an organized and structured professional detox program, the success that he or she experiences may enhance his or her self-confidence, boost his or her self-esteem, and provide him or her with the strength and stability that will allow him or her to make the most of the treatment opportunities that follow.
At Duffy’s Napa Valley Rehab, we are well aware of the challenges and obstacles that lie on the path of recovery from PCP addiction, and we have developed specialized programming that has proven to be very effective at helping people navigate this path in the most productive manner. To learn more about detox or any other aspect of treatment for PCP abuse and addiction, please contact us at your convenience. We look forward to helping you make the most informed decision for yourself or for a loved one.