Love First is a comprehensive book on intervention. The book extends far beyond a mere outline of the intervention process and provides more than a cursory explanation of addiction. In addition to covering typical issues and problems associated with the intervention process, the authors include a section of tools and resources. Between the detailed explanations, insightful advice, clear outlines, and a pinch of humor, Love First will be a key resource for those seeking help about the intervention proces.
- Title: Love First: A Family’s Guide to Intervention (2nd Ed.)
- Author: Jeff and Debra Jay
- Copyright: Hazelden, Minnesota 2008
- Price: Can usually be found for less than $10 on Amazon
What’s In the Book?
Jeff and Debra Jay have combined their passion, wisdom, and experience into a master guide that is organized into six sections:
- Insights into Alcoholism and other drug addictions
- Understanding Family Responses
- Preparing for an Intervention
- The Intervention
- After the Intervention
- Tool and Resources
Highlights of the content include chapters about
- What does it take to get an alcoholic or addict to accept help?
- Eleven misconceptions about chemical dependency
- Building a Team
- Involving the Workplace
- Letters Written for Real Interventions
- Sample scenarios
- Listing Possible Objections
- Intervening on an Adolescent
- Understanding what goes on during treatment
- Preparing for the possibility of relapse
- Self Quizzes: Is a family member chemically dependent?
And much, much more.
Who Are the Authors?
Jeff and Debra Jay are nationally recognized leaders in intervention. A clinical interventionist and a former addict himself, Jeff has been helping both addicts and addicted families since 1986. His work has appeared on CNN, PBS, USA Today, and professional journals.
Debra Jay is a seasoned interventionist, noted author, and nationally recognized public speaker. She is a guest lecturer on substance abuse at Wayne State University and has appeared frequently on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Other books by Jeff and Debra Jay include
- At Wit’s End: What You Need to Know When a Loved One is Diagnosed with Addiction and Mental Illness
- No More Letting Go: The Spirituality of Taking Action Against Alcoholism and Drug Addiction
- Aging and Addiction