April is National Alcohol Awareness Month, a national effort sponsored by the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence to raise awareness about alcohol-related problems and recovery. This year’s theme is “Help for today, hope for tomorrow,” with an emphasis on underage drinking and its effects on young people and their families.
The destructive power of alcoholism is something we understand personally. Because we know how much it hurts, we want to do everything we can to help others heal from the pain of addiction.
At Duffy’s, we are excited for the opportunity to help others understand the reality of alcohol addiction, it’s impact on the family, and—most importantly—the overwhelming power of recovery. To contribute to this important time of reflection, we have compiled a list of our top resources on alcohol.
We encourage you to read, share, and use these resources to help anyone who may be struggling with alcoholism. And if there’s any other way we can help you and your family, however addiction has affected you, please let us know!
Learning about Addiction
- Know the difference between social drinking, binge drinking and addiction
- Address two common misrepresentations of the modern alcoholic
- See staggering statistics about the influence of alcohol on our children (infographic)
- Understand what makes Alcoholics Anonymous effective—and what doesn’t
Helping an Addicted Family Member
- Learn general principles on how to confront your loved one
- Download a 70 page free e-book that walks you step-by-step through the process of staging a successful intervention
- Learn the five elements of a quality treatment center and how to choose the best treatment center for you
- Learn how insurance can help you pay for alcohol treatment
- See what is a standard drink and how much you can safely drink (explanation and infographic)
- Understand how long alcohol stays in your body and learn how to calculate your body’s BAC
- Find answers to commonly asked questions about alcohol’s effects, alcohol withdrawal & detox and the cost of treatment
- Understand why you should never mix these five drugs with alcohol
- Learn practical tips on how to talk effectively to your children about drinking
- Explore he internet’s most interactive and informative alcohol and drug websites for teens
Inspiring Stories of Recovery from Alcoholism
- Learn how a former Duffy’s guest found hope and recovery from alcoholism
- Support Alcohol Awareness Month with this T-shirt!